It is home to a number of rare plants, including bog asphodel, sundew and various sphagnum mosses.
Although it is not visible from this walk, there is a large house on the hillside above the reservoir, surrounded by pine trees.This is Agden Lodge, constructed in 1870, for Samuel Fox of Stocksbridge.It is thought he used the house as a shooting lodge, although he never lived there himself. The ruined barn near at the end of the road has a plaque on the wall stating that in 1826 the curate was solely responsible for paying for the rebuilding of the barn, with an inscription in Latin.Length 2.5 miles Time - 1.5 hours Grade - Gentle ascents. Refreshments – The Postcard café, The Plough Inn, Low Bradfield; Old Horns Inn, High Bradfield. Start - Car park, The Sands, Low Bradfield Parking – as above Public transport - Buses 61 and 62 from Hillsborough stop at Fair House Lane / Smithy Bridge Road, Low Bradfield.
Public Toilets – Low Bradfield Grid Reference SK 2626 9204 Starting in Low Bradfield the walk climbs gently, then after a short section on a quiet road the route goes around Agden Reservoir, using a path created by Yorkshire Water.
The route crosses the stream by a footbridge and then returns to Low Bradfield through woodland by the reservoir. A group of cottages once stood at the far side of the bridge but were demolished in the 1960’s.
People living there in the last century had to fetch water from the stream as there was no mains water in the cottages.
The Kirkgate Steps (also known as the Fairy Steps) lead up towards the church at High Bradfield.
It is thought this was an old burial path to High Bradfield Church.
The reservoir was completed in 1869 and holds 560 million gallons of water. The area on the right of the track is a nature reserve known as Agden Bog.