A different theory suggests the name might have been derived from the Ainu language.
The area has been settled extensively since prehistoric times, and numerous Jōmon period sites have been found by archaeologists, the most famous being the Sannai-Maruyama Ruins located just southwest of the city center dating to 5500-4000 BC, and the Komakino site slightly further south dating to around 4000 BC.
After the fall of the Northern Fujiwara in the Kamakura period, the territory was part of the domain assigned to the Nambu clan, and into the Sengoku period, it came under the control of the rival Tsugaru clan, whose main castle was located in Namioka.
After the start of the Edo period, Aomori was a minor port settlement for Hirosaki Domain called Utō .
The town was rebuilt in 1626 by Moriyama Yashichirō, under orders of the daimyō, Tsugaru Nobuhira and renamed Aomori, but the name did not come into common use until after 1783.
After the Meiji Restoration the various domains were abolished and replaced with prefectures, a total of six in the territory of modern Aomori Prefecture.
These were merged into the short-lived Hirosaki Prefecture in July 1871.
However, due to the historic enmity between the former Tsugaru territories in the west and the former Nambu territories in the east, the prefectural capital relocated from Hirosaki to the more centrally-located Aomori immediately after the merger and the prefecture was renamed Aomori Prefecture on September 23, 1871.
However, Aomori was not given town status within Higashitsugaru District until April 1, 1889, and was not designated a city until April 1, 1898.
is the capital city of Aomori Prefecture, in the northern Tōhoku region of northern Japan.
As of September 2015, the city had an estimated population of 288,029 and a population density of 349 persons per km Aomori literally means blue forest, although it could possibly be translated as "green forest".
The name is generally considered to refer to a small forest on a hill which existed near the town.
This forest was often used by fishermen as a landmark.